I know its been a while since I’ve shared a recipe with you guys, but if I’m being honest, it’s because I haven’t really made anything new or exciting. Now that the cold temperatures are rolling in, it’s time to search for all the new chili and hearty soup recipes! And since Todd, myself, and both kids are big fans of chili and soup, I am hoping to have a new weekly recipe to share with you all.
If you love chicken chili then this queso version will rock your world!! Granted, it’s not as healthy with the queso, but man is it delicious!
The mashed beans combined with the grated queso cheese give this soup such an amazing creamy flavor.
And if you don’t have a dutch oven, this one
has great reviews and is on major sale!!
This is the brand of cheese I used. I found it at Whole Foods, but I think they also sell it at Harris Teeter as well.
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 4 cans Great Northern beans (2 cans mashed, 2 cans whole beans)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. Queso cheese, shredded
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 cans diced green chiles (4 oz. cans)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large stock pot, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat until softened. Add peppers and garlic and sauté until onions are browned.
- Rinse and drain beans. Mash 2 cans of the beans, leave 2 cans whole. (The mashed beans give the chili a wonderful creaminess!)
- Add spices, chicken stock and beans; simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, chiles and lime juice; simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Add queso and stir until cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite fixings!