If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you probably know how much everyone in our house LOVES Mexican food! That being said, when I spotted these skinny green chile chicken enchiladas on Pinterest last month I knew I had to test them out!
Holy smokes, they were insanely delicious you guys, and Todd and I both agreed that they would have to be on rotation around here!! The kids didn’t eat them, so I just used some of the extra chicken I had leftover and made them cheese and chicken quesadillas. It was super easy since I had all the ingredients right in front of me and everyone was pleased (and full) at the end of the night.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas – Via Well Plated
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (see cooking directions below if needed)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat shredded Monetary jack or Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, drained
- 8 (7-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- For serving: diced fresh tomato, fresh cilantro, diced avocado, diced red onion, as desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with baking spray and set aside.
- Cook and shred chicken, following these easy steps.
- To make the enchiladas: Heat the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan on medium heat. Once oil the is warm, add the peppers and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and the onions become translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the shredded chicken, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and black pepper. Stir to coat evenly, then remove the skillet from the heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the cheese, Greek yogurt, and green chilies. Once the chicken and veggie mixture has cooled to nearly room temperature, add it to the bowl with the yogurt mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- To assemble the enchiladas: Fill each tortilla with a slightly heaping 1/2 cup of the chicken-yogurt mixture. Roll closed and place in the prepared dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Pour the green enchilada sauce evenly over the top, cover the pan, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, uncover, and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 5 additional minutes, until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with desired toppings and enjoy!
Also, just in case you missed these looks I shared over the weekend on Instastories, here are all the details along with sizing and fit information.
Sweatshirt runs tts and I’m wearing the xs. Jeans Run tts and I am wearing the size 2.
Sweater runs tts and I’m wearing the xs. Jeans run tts but stretch out a lot! For reference I am wearing the 26.
Drape Sleeve Sweater (only $39) // High-Waist Skinny Jeans // Earrings // Bracelet // Necklace
Sweater runs tts and I’m wearing the xs. Jeans Run tts and I am wearing the size 2.
Dolman Sleeve Sweater (only$ $39) // High Rise Ankle Skinny Jeans // Earrings // Bracelet // Necklace // Booties
+ view comments